This role falls under the direct management of the Programme Manager-BRICK. The construction Officer oversees the constructions and rehabilitations of additional buildings in the targeted health facilities in Abyei Muglad, Keilak and Meriam localities, manages contractors on site and provides technical support for the PM. The construction Officer will be on a full time assignment of 12 months initially and with possibility of extension and with regular travel to construction sites/locations.
Develop technical plans for the sector.
- Develop construction specifications and management i.e. prepare Bills of Quantities/Materials for the selected designs.
- Prepare work schedule for the construction work based on the designs.
- Ensure that all building materials used in the constructions are of the quality as recommended by the Organization.
- Prepare certificate of completion for each construction work completed to facilitate payment of contractors.
Monitoring construction work.
- Monitor stock levels, delivery and consumption of materials, ensure the contractors undertakes regular servicing, and repairs of the equipment to avoid delays.
- Ensure all constructions are completed as per the standards set by EU, Concern and Ministry of Health.
- Visit the construction sites and monitor progress of structures under construction.
Coordination of construction activities
- Conduct a daily/weekly technical meeting to review progress, discuss issues and provide solutions.
- Plan and implement daily activities for the construction works.
- Ensure that the organizational construction policies and guidelines are followed at all times during the construction works.
- Makes sure of quality construction by maintaining standard procedures and guidelines for construction.
- Work in consultation with the contractor or his representatives on the site to ensure quality work.
- Prepares daily, weekly and monthly construction report.
- Develops yearly construction report.
- Participate in the evaluation of construction activities.
Essential Skills and Knowledge Required
- Experience working with reinforced concrete and block masonry and providing quality control.
- Technical skills using AutoCAD, MS office.
- Capability to establish good and respectful relationship with other actors;
- Able to train and manage a team (to listen, advise, support, solve conflicts, motivate, etc.
- Experience in preparing valuation certificates
- Experience in vetting contractor valuations
- Experience with participatory fieldwork, methodologies, monitoring and reporting;
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
- Patience, good personal organization, good communication and ability to work in teams.
- Very good interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, team spirit, willingness to learn, and a positive attitude;
- Ability to work under time pressure, independently and with limited supervision;
- Willingness to travel between different construction sites on regular basis.
Qualifications/ Experience Required
- Should have a BA/ Master’s degree in Building/ Construction engineering, civil engineering or architecture.
- The candidate should have at least 4 years’ experience in building construction supervision.
- Registration with a professional body in Sudan is required.
- Experience working with an INGO is desirable.